It's very difficult for me to explain this in writing, so if you get confused go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHtA-d9hNPk to watch the video I made mine from. The name of the YouTube video is called "DIY: How to make a backpacking wood gasifier stove".
You can use the stove in the country or the city. It might actually fall under the category of "grill" in some places. But basically what you will be able to do is cook your food for a fraction of the wood you would have to use for a normal fire. I've actually kept mine going strong one pine cone at a time before! This is very helpful in the city, or when it's been raining a lot and I have to split wet wood to get to the dry part inside.
I also made my first one with nothing but a K-Bar knife and a multi-tool. I had some drill bits to help me measure the size of the holes as well. I'm going to put down what would be the most helpful items to have in making this though.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
4 inch diameter can
3 inch diameter can
1/8 inch hole punch=to the second notch of a ball point pin
3/8 inch hole punch=to the diameter of a finger
Good quality can opener.
4 nails or a metal clothes hanger.
Tin snips or cutting device.
HOW TO MAKE IT
1. Take 4 inch diameter can and cut off it's top rim with the can opener. In order to do this, place the can opener horizontally on the top of the can instead of vertically. It's very important that you do this correctly, and that the lid and the rim of the can are one piece.
2. Once the lid and rim are cut off, place your 3 inch diameter can on top of the lid and rim you have just cut off. Use to hole punch to "trace" the rim of the 3 inch can into the lid and rim of your 4 inch can. Take your tin snips and cut out a hole. You will be left with what looks like a ring. DO NOT push your 3 inch diameter can through this ring yet. That will come later.
3. Take your 4 inch diameter can and mark a a row of 8 holes about half an inch from the bottom or so all the way around the can. These holes will be 3/8 of and inch wide. After that is done make a second row just like the first slightly above and off set from the first row, all the way around your can.
4. Take your 3 inch diameter can and cut it's lid off. Only it's lid, not the rim.
5. Take your 3 inch diameter can and mark a a row of 16 holes all the way around the can, about 3/4 an inch from the top where you cut the lid off. These holes will be 1/8 of an inch wide.
6. Take your 3 inch diameter can and poke holes through the bottom lid. Make a circle pattern from the outside working your way in. There will be more holes then bottom of can when you re done. Use your 1/8 inch punch for this.
7. Take your 3 inch diameter can and make a row of 8 holes all the way around the can about half an inch or so from the bottom. These holes will be 3/8 of an inch wide. Make another row of 4 holes about half an inch or so above the row you just made. These holes will me off center from the row you just made and will also be 3/8 of an inch wide.
8. Remember that ring you cut out from the 4 inch diameter can? Now it's time to fit your 3 inch diameter can through. Make sure you feed the ring through the bottom of your 3 inch diameter can. Remember those 16 holes at the top of your 3 inch diameter can? Push the the ring about 1/4 of an inch past those.
9. Now take your nails or clothing hanger and put them through your 3 inch diameter can from the inside out ward right above your ring. Do this all the way around your can evenly making 4 holes. Leave each nail through the hole. This will allow you to put weight on top of your 3 inch can with out pushing it through the ring.
10. Put your 3 inch diameter can into your 4 inch diameter can. If you have done everything correctly your 3inch diameter can should stick up from the 4 inch can a little.
11. Fill your can with burnable materials and light it up. Take what ever safety precautions you need to. I normally keep some water on hand.